It was one year ago that the Levittown Public Library celebrated the grand opening of our Innovation Station. This groundbreaking MakerSpace has become a welcomed addition to the community. We have had the opportunity to witness the ingenuity and creativity of so many curious and talented innovators. Whether they’re printing 3D keepsakes, cutting out classroom decor with our Cricut, or using our littleBits to make lights and sounds, our amazing patrons never cease to impress us with their inventive spirits.
To celebrate our first year of making, innovating, and learning by doing, the Levittown Public Library will be holding an interactive open house on Saturday, October 17th from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.. All are welcome! Activities include:
- Indoor minigolf with our Sphero Robotic Balls
- Soldering How-To for grades 4 and up
- Record your experiences in the library using one of our GoPro cameras and turn your footage into a video with the help of our iMacs.
- Learn about LEGO Mindstorm and help to build a robot (registration required).
- Personalize a premade bookmark using our embroidery machine.
- Experiment with littleBits!
- The Baking Coach will make yummy apple turnovers (registration required).
- Children are welcome to stop by the Children’s Room to make special creations using cardboard.
- Adults can enjoy the latest trend in self-expression and relaxation: Coloring books!
We will also have one of our 3D printers in the Exhibit Area adjacent to the Circulation Department for all to see. It will be in the process of printing an awesome 3D object, so visitors will get to see it in action! If you have not yet had the chance to learn about 3D printing, this will be a great opportunity to get in the know!
Other hands-on activities, as well as equipment demonstrations and an electronic “petting zoo” of our technologies, will be taking place throughout the afternoon. For further information, you can contact the library via phone, email, text, or chat. Our website also provides a listing of the times and locations for all events.
The Innovation Station has been gaining fans steadily since its opening, and we are happy to say that it has become a bustling center of activity! To give you a better picture of its popularity, check out these stellar stats: Over 400 patrons have used our 3D printers, 150 patrons have used our littleBits, more than 130 patrons have doodled with our 3Doodlers, and we have given tours to over 300 patrons. That’s not even including the usage of our Button Maker, Ellison Die Cut Machine, embroidery machines, sewing machines, and iMacs. Let’s also not forget the amazing cooking and crafting programs that have taken place in and been inspired by our Innovation Station.
We’re happy to see familiar faces return to begin new projects, and we are also always eager to meet new “Makers.”
Stop by our anniversary celebration on Saturday, October 17th and get caught up in the Maker Movement! Create with our community!
We’ll see you there!